The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) has started accepting applications for its PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018 for postgraduate (MSc and PhD) studies both in Nigeria and outside the shores of the country.
About the Scheme
The PTDF is a Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources parastatal created by Decree 25 of 1973 and charged with the development and promotion of petroleum technology as well as enhancement of local manpower in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. The PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme is just a way through which the parastatal hopes to achieve this mandate. Under PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018, successful applicants will receive financial assistance to pursue postgraduate (Master’s or doctorate) studies in institutions in the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, Australia and France or in select universities in Nigeria.
Eligibility for PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018
You need to ensure you meet the following requirements before proceeding to submit an application. Otherwise, you will be wasting your by applying.
MSc (Overseas and Local)
1. A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
2. National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
3. Applicants must be computer literate.
4. Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language; At least C6 in WAEC/ SSCE or C4 and above in NECO.
5. Applicants must not be above 30 years of age.
In addition, those interested in obtaining their Master’s degree in a foreign university needs the following:
1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (USA)
2. G.R.E (Graduate Record Examination) (USA)
3. GMAT – for Management related courses (USA)
4. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (UK)
PhD (Overseas and Local)
1. Applicants must be in the academics in Nigerian Institutions, teaching an oil and gas related discipline
2. Minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a good second degree certificate
3. Submission of a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (not longer than 5 pages). It must include: Topic, Introduction, Objective, Methodology and Mode of Data Collection
4. Include a valid admission letter
5. Must not be over 40 years of age
The PhD scholarships will be offered on both full-time and split-site bases. You are advised to check the scholarship page for more detailed information on the Split-Site PhD Programme.
The scholarship page linked above also have for information on the courses eligible for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018.
If you are very sure you are qualified for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018, you will need to pay the sum of N1,000 at any of the designated First Bank of Nigeria branches for a scratch card that will enable you access the online application form. Payment can also be made with an ATM card (Verve, MasterCard or Visa). Considering the requirement for payment, you need to be very sure you are eligible before putting in an application to avoid losing your money, however little, as payment is non-refundable.
You are required to scan and submit the documents below along with your application form:
• First degree certificate or statement of result
• NYSC discharge certificate
• WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO results
• Two (2) recent passport photographs
• Local Government Identification Letter
• Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
• Admission Letter (PhD applicants and all levels of Local Scholarship Scheme applicants)
Application for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2017/2018 will be on through December 31, 2016. You need not apply if you are already a recipient of a similar scholarship award.
Shortlisted applicants for MSc scholarships will be invited for an aptitude test that will be used for selection. PhD candidates are to undergo oral interview to be considered for selection. Any scholarship award will come into effect from September 2017.