The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is calling all suitably-qualified candidates to apply for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017 for postgraduate (MSc and PhD) studies.
About the Scheme
The PTDF is a Ministry of Petroleum Resources parastatal created by Decree 25 of 1973 and charged with the development and promotion of petroleum technology as well as enhancement of local manpower in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. The PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme is just a way through which the parastatal hopes to achieve its mandate. Under PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017, successful applicants will receive financial assistance to pursue postgraduate (Master’s or doctorate) studies in institutions in the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, Australia and France or in ‘PTDF upgraded’ universities in Nigeria.
Eligibility for PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017
You need to ensure you meet the following requirements before proceeding to submit an application. Failure in this regard will virtually reduce your application to an effort in futility.
MSc (Overseas and Local)
1. A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
2. National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
3. Applicants must be computer literate.
4. Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language; At least C6 in WAEC/ SSCE or C4 and above in NECO.
5. Applicants must not be above 30 years of age.
In addition, those interested in obtaining their Master’s degree in a foreign university needs the following:
1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (USA).
2. G.R.E (Graduate Record Examination) (USA).
3. GMAT – for Management related courses (USA).
4. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (UK)
PhD (Overseas and Local)
1. Applicants must be in the academics in Nigerian Institutions, teaching an oil and gas related discipline. 2. Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a good second degree certificate.
3. Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, Introduction, Objective, Methodology and Mode of Data Collection.
4. Applicants must include a valid admission letter.
5. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age.
6. Applicants must include their Master’s degree project.
The PhD scholarships will be offered on full-time and split-site bases. You need to check the scholarship page for more detailed information on the Split-Site PhD Programme.
Approved Courses for PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017
Below are the courses applicants are advised to put in for to be eligible to benefit from this overseas and local scholarship scheme.
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised to apply for admission into universities in the UK and France that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Development Fund Scholarship.
1. Assets Management (Engineering Asset Management)
2. Basin Evolution and Dynamics
3. Control System and Applied Instrumentation
4. Design of Rotating Machines
5. Diving and Under Water Technology
6. Energy Systems Engineering
7. Environmental Engineering
8. Environmental Remote Sensing
9. Fire and Explosion Engineering
10. Flow Assurance
11. Fluid Mechanics and Energetic (France)
12. Health Safety and Environmental
13. Hydraulic Engineering (France)
14. International Shipping
15. Marine computational Fluid Dynamics
16. Maritime Operation
17. Offshore and Ocean Technology
18. Offshore Engineering
19. Petroleum Engineering (UK, UNSW, Australia)
20. Pipeline Engineering
21. Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
22. Refinery Design and Operations
23. Renewable Energy Engineering (UNSW – Australia)
24. Subsea Engineering
25. Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
26. Geothermal Engineering (Germany)
27. Mechatronics and Mechanical Systems Engineering (USP – Brasil, Germany)
28. Naval and Ocean Engineering (USP, Brazil)
29. Mining and Petroleum Engineering (USP, Brasil)
30. Production Engineering (USP, Brasil)
31. Systems Engineering and Engineering (Germany)
32. Geology and Petroleum Geology (Germany)
33. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology (Germany)
Priority Research Areas
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
1. Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
2. Marginal Fields Development.
3. Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
4. Geology and Petroleum Geology.
5. Civil and Marine Engineering.
6. Renewable Energy.
7. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
8. Refining Technology.
9. Ship Building and Marine Technology
If you are very sure you are qualified for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017, you will need to pay the sum of N1,000 at any of the designated First Bank of Nigeria branches for a scratch card that will enable you access the online application form. I wonder why applicants have to pay to apply for a scholarship award by the PTDF; that’s by the way. This is the more reason you need to be very sure you are eligible before putting in an application – the money paid is non-refundable.
You are required to scan and submit the documents below with your application form.
• First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result.
• NYSC discharge certificate.
• WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website.
• Recent Passport Photograph.
• Local Government Identification Letter.
• Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only).
• Admission Letter (PhD Applicants).
• Birth Certificate
Application for the PTDF Overseas and Local Scholarship Scheme 2016/2017 is on through October 31, 2015. You need not apply if you are already a recipient of a similar scholarship award.
Shortlisted applicants for MSc scholarships will be invited for an aptitude test that will be used for selection. PhD candidates are to undergo oral interview to be considered for selection. Good luck!