Are you a young person from the Niger Delta is search of an opportunity to study abroad? If yes, you might just be interested in applying for the 2017 Shell Nigeria Niger Delta Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships. The information you need to apply is presented here.
About the Scholarship Scheme
This is an educational empowerment initiative by the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC). Shell Nigeria Niger Delta Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships has been offered every year for some time now. The oil and gas company said the current edition is the seventh in the annual series. The scheme is aimed at providing scholarships for postgraduate studies overseas to qualified students from Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Imo states. Since inception, Shell says 60 students have enjoyed all-expenses paid, quality education in the United Kingdom under this scheme. Scholarships are provided for oil and gas-related courses in select foreign institutions.
For the 2017 Shell Nigeria Niger Delta Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships, SPDC has entered into partnerships with three UK institutions. The schools and approved courses for this edition are:
Imperial College London
• MSc PETROLEUM ENGINEERING
• MSc PETROLEUM GEOSCIENCE
• MSc PETROLEUM GEOPHYSICS
University College London
• MSc CHEMICAL/PROCESS ENGINEERING
• MSc MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (Rotating Equipment or Metallurgy)
• MSc CIVIL ENGINEERING (Geotechnics)
University Of Leeds
• MSc EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICS
• MSc ELECTRONIC/ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
A total of 10 awards will be made to successful candidates. These will cover one year of postgraduate (Masters) studies in any of the UK institutions listed above.
The following are the criteria you are expected to meet to be eligible to apply for the 2017 Shell Nigeria Niger Delta Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships:
• Currently reside in Nigeria
• Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states
• Aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2017
• Have obtained a university degree [at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours degree)]
• Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potentials
• Meet English Language requirements of institution you are applying to (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2017 admission). You should note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities, so you may want to confirm the requirement at your school of interest.
• Have a Nigerian international passport valid to end December 2018
• Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
• Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies
• Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria
• Agree to return to Nigeria on completion of your proposed programme of study
If you do not meet or agree to every one of these conditions, it may be better not to waste your time applying.
Application and Deadline
You are advised to apply for admission to the any of the prospective universities for any of the qualifying courses, if you are interested and consider yourself eligible for an award. Shell says applications would be received via the websites of participating universities. You will be able to access the application forms after you may have been offered admission by any of the universities.
Your completed application forms for the 2017 Shell Nigeria Niger Delta Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships should be submitted to your institution of interest before or on 30 January, 2017. The universities will process the applications and invite qualified candidates to take part in interviews, following which the final selection will be made.
If you need more information on this scholarship programme, you may visit the Shell scholarship page.